Tom Wolfe & Yan Skates's
Blackberry Cupcakes with edible flowers
- 2 small boxes of edible wild flowers – kept cool in the fridge until needed!
- 470g/ unsalted butter softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 200g self raising flour
- 70g fresh whole milk
- 12 fresh blackberries
- 70g Trex vegetable shortening softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 12 hole muffin tray
- 12 paper cases
- Whisk (electric)
- Measuring jug
- Mixing bowl
- Optional piping/pastry bag with plain tip
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Cream the butter and sugar together, preferably with an electric whisk, in a large bowl until the mixture is light and fluffy. Allow take at least 5 minutes so that the mixture is combined properly.
3. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until well combined. (If the mixture looks like it is curdling add a spoonful of the flour.) Fold in the remaining flour and milk until you have a soft, smooth mixture.
4. Pipe or spoon the mixture into the 12 paper cases until half full, place one blackberry in the centre and then cover with the remaining cake mixture. The finished cake case should be about three-quarters full. Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until the cakes are golden-brown and spring back when pressed.
5. Beat the room temperature butter and vegetable shortening with a hand mixer, the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
6. Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes if making by hand or an additional 10 minutes if using a stand mixer. Set aside in a cool place.
HOW IT WORKS
Find your favourite
Check our calendar of upcoming Celebrity Cookalong dates and dishes and choose your favourite.
Enter prize draw
Buy your ticket to win the chance to join a live video call to cook along with your chosen celebrity. All proceeds go to charity.
Win or watch live
1 lucky winner will join an exclusive live video Celebrity Cookalong with up to 8 friends – streamed live on YouTube.